Friday 16 January 2015

Middle Earth - The Final Goodbye


SPOILER ALERT: Please note that if you have not seen The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies, this blog may contain a minor spoiler.

The last of The Hobbit movies  - The Battle of the Five Armies is showing in cinemas worldwide.  I dreaded going to watch it.   I wanted to...but I did not.  Maybe if you don't watch it, it won't be over.  As the soothing voice of Billy Boyd washed off the walls, I found myself glued to my seat, soft tears slowly slipping down my cheeks.


I was not crying for Kili (maybe a few), nor for Fili or Thorin.  I was crying for the loss of an era.  From December 2001, with the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, we waited in anticipation year after year for the next movie.  Rejoiced when I heard that the Hobbit would be made into movies and again year after year waited. Slurping up any news, trailers or photos you could get your hands on.  Twelve years, of longing for Middle Earth. Waiting to feel the magic of a lost world, captured on the big screen.  Losing yourself for a few hours, in a magical adventure.  Now it was gone.

Yes I know, I can get the extended versions and watch it over and over.  I will, probably another hundred times.  But it's not the same.  It's an adventure that has come to an end, and you have to go back to a dull existence of make believe. No Tolkien or Jackson to feed your imagination.  

Middle Earth became home.  Suddenly we had to say goodbye.  Goodbye to a mind-blowing universe lost in the memories of mankind.  To endearing characters that became friends and heroes.  To our innocence.   If only the good and the evil were as clear-cut as defiling Orcs and mystical Elves.  It is not.  

The possibility of The Silmarillian hangs in the air.  I personally don't think it could have the magic and enthrallment of Bilbo and Frodo's (with the help of Samwise the brave) adventures.

After a while, teary eyes found each other, the same words slipped out,  "what are we going to look forward to now?"  I sat for a very long time, feeling the loss, draped in the sadness, saying my last Goodbye.

Now we can only hope by some magical, universal serendipity, Peter Jackson finds ARACH.  How awesome would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment